Thursday, July 5, 2007

IKEA - Cheap and Expensive


It could be the best thing in the home shopping scene here. It has cheap and durable stuff. They sell stuff which has 2 pluses (in my case atleast)...one being that the things are cheap(er than many stores) and the second that you have to build the furniture yourself, which I can tell you is a lot of fun. Ask my roommate who spent his afternoon building a rolling cabinet we got from IKEA yesterday. He kept sating how much fun it was. I have built 2 tables and tonight I am about to tackle a bed. Fun times ahead.

But there is a big no-no there. Now I have a Grand Am, not the speacious kinds of vehicle when you have to haul a lot of stuff, and particularly not when i have to carry 10-12 feet of packaging. And so I have to either rent a truck, which is absolutely impractical, or have it delivered by IKEA. So here is where they make up for the 'cheap' selling prices.

I wanted to ship my bed and mattress and that was going to cost me $69.99. Now they must be delivering around 50 items or more in a day. So why $69.99. And that is because I live on the second floor, they have to carry it over one flight of stairs. So, it would cost me that much. So, I took the other option of paying $49 and have the items delivered 'curbside'. I hauled them to my apartment on the second floor with the utmost ease and I was relieved I didn't waste $20 on hose guys, who by the way were bigger than I was and were 2 of them.

A few months earlier, I had my recliner delivered and that too cost me $50. A real rip-off I can tell you. So take care when you see the prices at IKEA, coz you may find out that you have to have your items shipped and that would just cost as much. Still it will be cheaper than other places, but $50 for curbside delivery....NO! Thank God I wasn't obliged to tip the delivery guys!!

No comments: